Jagan Mohan Reddy Government Creates History
JAGAN MOHAN REDDY GOVERNMENT CREATES HISTORY BY PROCURING 7,70,386 MT OF CROPS WORTH RS 2,571 CRORE EVEN IN THE PANDEMIC YEAR
Despite several transport restrictions due to COVID-19 and a social distancing norm in place, the Andhra Pradesh’s MARKFED has created a history by procuring 7,83,246 MT of crops worth Rs 2,571 Crore during the Rabi season that benefited over 2.35 lakh farmers in the state. Following the instructions given by Hon’ble Chief Minister Mr. YS Jaganmohan Reddy, MARKFED has formulated an innovative procurement strategy of decentralizing the procurement process. It has set up more than 1,000 procurement centres spread across Andhra Pradesh which have enabled quick procurement while reducing significant transportation for the farmers.
Special Commissioner of Agricultural Marketing PS Pradyumna said, “MARKFED has done the highest quantity of procurement in its history in Rabi season despite the lockdown conditions. We have initiated the decentralized procurement process to enable procurement easy for farmers while maintaining social distance and curtailing transportation. More than 1,000 procurement centres have been registered with us. At a time when the other states are facing various issues, we at MARKFED, however, have successfully supplied fertilizers to farmers for Kharif as well as Rabi seasons”.
Out of the total procurement of 7,70,386 MT by MARKFED, Maize procurement stood on top with 3,97,123 MT worth of Rs 699 Crore followed by Bengal Gram at 1,78,013 MT worth Rs 868 Crore, Jower at 1,09,424 MT worth Rs 279 Crore, Red Gram at 60,020 MT worth Rs 348 Crore, Turmeric at 24,842 MT worth Rs 170 Crore and Onion at 957 MT worth Rs 74 Lakhs respectively.
Key Initiatives by AP Marketing Department for the welfare of the farmers during pandemic :
- CM App: CM App, a dedicated mobile app for undertaking all procurement operations by all the nodal agencies. It is an end to end solution to update the agriculture commodity prices and for the necessary market intervention. It offers comprehensive monitoring of agriculture commodity prices and procurement.
- Sets up a record number of 1,000 Procurement Centres to enable farmers to sell their produce at nearest places
- Establishment of a price fixation committee at the district level under the chairmanship of the joint collector. The committee fixes the prices of essential commodities periodically and displays them at all shops. Any violation of the prices leads to rigorous punishment and legal actions.
- Procurement of Perishables: Banana – 12,00 MT, Tomato – 1,425 MT, Sweet Orange – 4,000 MT.
- The department has tied up with private companies like Swiggy and Zomato to door delivery of vegetables from Rythu Bazars.
As well to empower women the rule of reservation is being implemented in the constitution of market committees. As 50% of the chairpersons of Agricultural Marketing committee will be women as the process will be completed, Andhra Pradesh will be the only state in the country having 108 women Chairpersons out of 216 AMCs. In addition to the above, the market committee consisting of 15 members will have 50% women reservation and 50% reservation to SC/ST/BC/Minorities.
Andhra Pradesh will be the first state to empower 50% of women where women will be in equal to men in the Agricultural Marketing committees.